Pages

February 15, 2010

Getting Personal

Whew! I wrote over 4,000 words today.

Some of it was work-related, and some of it was on a personal essay. This is a personal essay I’ve been meaning to write for a long time, and I’ve been putting it off. Today was the deadline, though, so I backed myself into a corner to write it. One of the main reasons was because it was an emotionally hard one. I didn’t want to confront the issues involved. But now it’s done. I’ve been working it through in my mind for a long time, but it only took a day or two to put it to paper.

It’s so much easier for me to write these emotionally charged issues in the form of fiction. I can be totally honest and it doesn’t tear me up so much. But if I label it nonfiction, it’s a lot harder. Something about attaching the I to myself.

I think I’ll try to write more personal essays in the future ~ sort of in preparation for a memoir I hope to write someday based on the whole Hatfields and McCoys thing my family went through.

By the way, over the weekend that short story the editor asked me to revise was accepted! I also got a form rejection today ~ make that two form rejections.

What I’m Reading Today: More wonderful Harriet the Spy.

No comments: