Pages

January 9, 2014

Sampling

I love fanfic and mashups and creative things that spin off other creative things.  My novels often have an underlying inspiration that I riff on, and often nobody would notice unless I told them. It's more about my imagination than the readers'.  And there's a difference between plagiarism and inspiration.  Plagiarism is taking long passages of something and passing it off as your own.  Creative inspiration is something totally different, and it honors the thing it samples from.  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

On that note, aren't these the greatest?  I love Calvin and Hobbes, and I love the idea of them all grown up!


The incomparable original, Calvin and Hobbes, by Bill Watterson
 
A beautiful rendition of them as adults by nami64. Love this person's work!
 

No comments: