Pages

December 13, 2010

Love Those Norges

Just a quick note today to say that I am now in love with Per Pettersen! I read Out Stealing Horses. It’s got the wonderful quiet of novels like Gilead and the understatement of many western writers (Jim Harrison, Tom McGuane), yet a great and moving plot. I’ve started his To Siberia and have also been investigating other Scandinavian authors. Any suggestions? I’ve read Smila’s Sense of Snow and loved it. Also Pippi Longstocking, of course. Haven’t had much luck with Dragon Tattoo series though - not my genre. I also watched the movie of Smila’s Sense of Snow last night - how heartwrenching and haunting yet a thriller! I love how Smila is not a typical woman character - she is demon-driven and not soft at all.

An additional note: I think I need to scale back my virtual time a bit and focus on writing. I’m taking the last two weeks of the year off to write, so, while I’ll be posting, I’m going to try to not do long long posts.

Questions of the Day: Suggestions for Scandinavian authors to read?

No comments: