Pages

December 27, 2010

The Best Present

I hope you had the happiest of holidays and you’re looking forward to a great New Year’s eve!

So, I took last week and this week off to write, and I thought I’d update you on my progress. It’s going well! Thank God. I was really nervous that I would end up blowing it all, which would be horrible, since I have a deadline of next Monday.

I’ve been despairing of my writing. I have been having a hard time getting words to paper. And when you’re that far away from your writing, it’s really hard to get back into it. Like climbing Everest ~ you gotta get over the initial (monstrous) resistance. I didn’t get much written Monday and Tuesday of last week, but I sat at my computer or read my research diligently and edited what I had and tried really hard, and then finally on Wednesday I got a few paragraphs of new material, and now I’m sailing downhill! It’s coming easier and easier. I’ll make my deadline ~ whew!

One thing: I haven’t been online hardly at all. I haven’t been on Facebook and I have cranked up Tweekdeck in a while. I love doing those things, but they end up being chatter. It’s like my brain’s on caffeine and can’t settle into the fictional world. Which presents a bit of a problem. How do I balance the needs of writing with the needs of promotion? If I can’t write when I’m hip-deep in the internet, and vice versa, that’s a problem in both worlds. Well, I’ll just have to keep working at it and figuring it out.

But right now I’m at that sweet spot. The world is there and I’m thinking about it all the time and the writing’s coming easy and my characters are alive. Oh, I’m in love I’m in love I’m in love! It’s the best present I could hope for.

Questions of the Day:  How's the writing coming?

2 comments:

Pembroke Sinclair said...

Yeah! I'm glad things are going so well. I knew you could do it!

Tamara said...

Thanks, Pembroke! I so much appreciate it!! Right back atcha.