Pages

August 30, 2012

The Drive to Create

via

Today’s post on Native Home of Hope, the other blog I’m involved with, is an interview with Gregory Spatz, author of Inukshuk.  He’s also an amazing musician, and that got me thinking about how different forms of art feed into each other.  (Check it out, as he's let us post some of his amazing music.)

For me now, it’s my writing and my photography.  My writing makes me intellectually aware throughout the day ~ everything I hear sparks ideas for stories or essays.  My photography makes me intensely aware of the beauty of the world ~ everywhere I look are little moments of grace.

They definitely feed into each other.  My writing has me see narrative in image, and my photography makes my writing much more rich with telling description.

I also do creative everything things like cook and grow a garden, and I used to paint and draw and sew a lot.  Oh, and of course the kids.

I would say I have a creative life, that I live for creativity.  That I am most alive when I’m being creative. And I would further argue that creativity is not just a hobby ~ it’s a basic human drive.  Whether it’s having children or being a good cook to provide for your family or engineering for your job to make the world a better place, it’s all interconnected and all part of the human spirit.

2 comments:

"As We Speak" said...

You are so right about different forms of art feeding each other. From cross stitching and taking photos, I now make greeting cards. So, cross stitching, photography and greeting cards, all feeding each other.

OpinionsToGo

Tamara said...

There's nothing like the feeling of having brought something into the world, you know?!