Pages

July 17, 2012

Oh. My. God.

I've always loved science fiction.  There was this one story about a spy that the government altered to be superhuman with steel for fingernails and x-ray eyesight and supersharp hearing and all this stuff.  (I'm not going to be able to remember any titles here.)  Another where you could transport to other planets sort of by fax, and your personality and memories are put into a dummy-but-real body. And another where aliens had created these doorways and when you stepped through you were reincarnated into another species ~ your personhood was put into an alien body ~ on this zoo planet. Oh, oh, and another one.  This one I remember the name of:  Dreamfall.  In it, at birth people take on "augmentation," so that they are physically connected to the internet at all times. Computers have become part of them.

Sounds far-fetched, doesn't it?  But, remember, H.G. Wells's ideas were waaaay out there at one time.

Watch these two TED talks by Juan Enriquez.  All of the things I've mentioned above?  With the current advances in science, they could happen in our lifetimes. All of it. (Well, I don't know about the aliens.)  Isn't that WILD?



No comments: