Pages

January 2, 2012

What Lights You Up



My friend, the amazingly talented and creative Pierre Hauser, has been doing a project called Photo a Day or Project 365. (He also writes these amazing stories.)  He takes a photo a day ~ a lot more than that, in actuality ~ and posts it on his Facebook page.  He takes the loveliest photos.  Sometimes it’s a very interesting view of a common object, sometimes it’s what’s happening on the NYC streets, and sometimes it’s from he and his family’s travels, but it’s always beautiful and interesting.

Well, I got a new digital SLR camera for Christmas, and it’s prompted me to try the project.  That and Pierre’s photos and the great photos that my friend the writer and photographer Twister Marquiss takes and also the wish to see more beauty in the world. 

What else could one wish but to see more beauty in the world?

The photo above is my first offering.  I will only be posting them on Facebook for the time being, but I would put them here if they relate to what I’m writing about. Or maybe I’ll add another tab here.  Hmmm.  I’ll have to see if I can figure that out.

I love projects like this.  Creative endeavors just make me so happy.  I’ve always been driven/loved passionately/had to do creative projects.  As a kid, I drew and painted and took art every year at school.  I hooked rugs and did embroidery and sewed my own clothes.  I cooked, not just recreationally but for the family.  And I wrote of course.

It’s one of the things that lights me up inside.  You know what I mean?  There are things that, when people talk about them, it’s as if they are lighted from the inside.  They love them so much and so deeply they are not even aware of the physical effect talking about them has.

My family and writing and reading and talking with friends also light me up.

What things light you up?

6 comments:

GYPSYWOMAN said...

an incredible image! and one that evokes so many "story" thoughts -
of what lights me up - hmmmmmm..... - my children their children and their children - the thought of the one i love - the sun moon and stars - blue skies - clouds floating by - the smell feel and taste of rain - chocolate - more chocolate - the sound of a bird chirping.....

Patty Chang Anker said...

Love this post! What lights me up? Hearing or reading something I've never thought of before, hearing or reading something I've always thought but never knew how to say, my 5 year old's laugh, my 10 year old's smile, fresh air, a really good hug, trying something new, having a friend look at me with a twinkle in his or her eye, dancing, the moon salutation, chanting the sound of om. Gosh, it lit me up to write this list!

Betty said...

You made me think about how much I enjoy talking with someone on the subject that lights them up!

Tamara said...

Gypsywoman, thank you so much! I love beautiful images, and I'm so glad this one sparked your story gene!

Patty - Like you, I love intellectual conversation or listening to someone talk intelligently about things. You did a much better job of listing things than I did. :-)

Betty - hehe! Me too! That's why I love being a writer. Talking to people about what they're passionate about.

Happy New Year, ya'll!

Tamara

Clare said...

I just wrote about this myself. Such an exciting topic. Here's what lights me up: http://clareherbert.com/?p=2891

Tamara said...

Thank you, Clare! A great post of yours! I look forward to checking out more of your writing. :-)

~ Tamara