Pages

June 28, 2012

Nora Ephron, or Be Nice

Via

A great tribute to Nora Ephron in the New York Times.

What I love about this ~ and about Nora, of course! ~ is that it points out how irrevocably nice she was.  How she did nice things, how she was spontaneous and warm and kind.  Even though she was ambitious, she did not fit the mold of the castrating bitch that we are told to expect from ambitious successful women. 

I’m a strong believer in being nice, in making the world a better place with your presence.  I don’t think it’s unrealistic or too Pollyanna.  (And what’s wrong with Pollyanna, anyway?) I think it’s damn near a sin to make yourself objectionable day after day.

Sure, sometimes you need to be hard ass to get things done, and if your job is to effect political change or create a revolution, then I suppose you have license. 

But what I object to is the shittiness that stems from selfishness.  Get over yourself, I always want to say.

So, random acts of kindness for everyone!

No comments: