Pages

November 5, 2009

My Website

A number of people asked me how I created this site. Did I hire someone to do it? Where did I get the photos?

Well, all I can say is: those thousands of dollars spent on computer engineering classes finally paid off! (I’m kidding ~ actually I’ve never felt they were a waste. I’ve used them in all kinds of thing ~ technical editing and writing and so on.) Seriously, I did it myself. I thought my brain would explode, but I was able to do it. I created it totally from scratch twice ~ once to learn the software and figure out the design and then again to do it right. And I’ve been tinkering with it since. I used Web Expressions software and pulled some plug-ins from various places ~ forms and the photo album. Network Solutions is my web host, and I used their plug-in of WordPress for my blog. (I’m not sure I’m using the term “plug-in” in the correct sense.)

The photos I got from istock.com. I WISH I had taken them. At istock, you can find photos on all kinds of things, and it’s very reasonably priced to use them. Since then, I’ve credited who took the photos and linked to their sites. I also sent them an email saying I was using the photos, and so far I’ve received a nice note back from one of them.

I was afraid starting a blog would turn into a guilt thing and also take away from my other writing, but it hasn’t. I look forward to it, and it too is a way to connect with people. If you’re like me, I love reading blogs about writing and publishing.

What I’m Reading Today: Continuing Maile Meloy’s novel Liars and Saints.

No comments: