Pages

August 30, 2010

The Hobbit

What I’m Reading Today: Finished J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit.

Ah, what a lovely story! I love The Hobbit! It’s a lovely story, not because it’s light and all nicey nice, but because the dark parts are balanced by the light parts. It’s an adventure story with depth. So hard to talk about these things.

This weekend, I was reminded of my childhood reading. I read The Hobbit for the first time in grade school, I think ~ maybe middle school. Rereading it took me back to those days. Plus, it’s fall, and the hot sun through the curtains, the cat curled up on the couch, the cool air in the mornings, the smell in the air, the sounds of leaves ~ it all came together to take me palpably back to that time. It’s all this mass of warm sun, me by myself lying on a bed or in a warm corner, reading, and severe Anglophilia. It’s almost atavistic.

It just makes me tingle to my toes with pleasure!

Questions of the Day: Do you have these deep sense memories of reading? What books trigger it?

No comments: