Pages

June 1, 2010

Books About the War Experience

In honor of Memorial Day, I thought I'd list the most-affecting books I've read about the experience of war (IMHO, and in no particular order). I can't tell all you veterans how thankful I am for your service.

The Bible
Night, by Elie Wiesel
Catch-22, by Joseph Heller
Slaughterhouse Five, by Kurt Vonnegut
King Rat, by James Clavell
Maus, by Art Spiegelman
Diary of a Young Girl, by Anne Frank
The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien
For Whom the Bell Tolls, by Ernest Hemingway
Testament of Youth, by Vera Brittain
A Distant Mirror, by Barbara Tuchman
Mother Courage and Her Children, by Bertold Brecht
Candide, by Voltaire
The Lysistrata, by Aristophenes
Sophie's Choice, by William Styron
The English Patient, by Michael Ondaatje
The Red Badge of Courage, by Stephen Crane
The March, by E.L. Doctorow
Cold Mountain, by Charles Frasier
The Pugilist at Rest, by Thom Jones
A Midwife's Tale, by Laura Thatcher Ulrich
Little Big Man, by Thomas Berger
the short stories of Rudyard Kipling

And I'm looking forward to reading Karl Marlantes's Matterhorn.

What I'm Reading Today: Finished The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. What a great book!

No comments: